Tips & Tools for Smarter Searching
by Tara Calishain & Rael Dornfest
Published by O'Reilly, 2005
Paperback, 304 pages
There’s more to Google than most people know. The simple, clean Google interface belies the sheer breadth of its underlying index, raw power of its engine, and flexibility of its search syntax. Google Hacks dives headfirst into getting the most out of Google: finding rather than just searching, performing useful tasks to get the job done, using Google API to automate complicated or repetitive tasks, and tweaking and twiddling all the knobs to squeeze out every last drop of useful results.
Weighing in at over eight billion web pages, Google’s index is almost four times larger than it was when the first edition of Google Hacks was released. As Google’s reach has expanded, so has this book to cover new Google services and new ways to hack older applications. Completely updated and reorganized, this new edition of Google Hacks continues to amaze with what you can do with Google.
• Search Smarter with Google’s flexible search syntax.
• Pull results from hard to reach places using the Google Web API and a little Perl, PHP, Python, Java or .NET programming
• Bring the power and flexibility of Google search to your desktop with Google Desktop and to your website with Google Site Search
• Break down the barriers to online advertising with Google Adwords and make money yourself with AdSense on your site
• Gain a clear understanding of how Google Looks at your site and learn more about Google’s famous PageRank algorithm
• Change your emailing ways with Gmail, Google’s unique take on online correspondence
If you use Google as a search tool (and who doesn't these days!) this book can help to take your search experience to the next level. The range of chapters vary in their technical coverage and knowledge required, but help to clearly present the lesser known possibilities that can be used with Google.
Buy this book at a discount from Amazon.co.uk